Cast all your cares upon him; for he cares for you. -1 Peter 5:7
My hubby gave me pink roses after surgery. It was so sweet! He is a good hubby!
I am absolutely thankful during this time of 'crisis.' Actually the less I think of it as a crisis, the less it feels like a crisis. Jesus helps that a lot. When you give over your cares to the Lord, you really have a lot of time on your hands for other things, like being thankful.
I posted the following on Facebook on February 22, 2017, the day after surgery:
While I was waking from anesthesia yesterday the immense pain awaken too. The nurse had to feed me some applesauce then request the pain med and then get it for me. Then I it took a few minutes -maybe 15 for it to work.
As I prayed while in pain it remained. But then as I prayed about each tiny and big thing I am thankful for God lifted away the pain. When I would pause from praying thankfulness the pain returned. So I kept my heart set on the words below and kept thanking our Lord.
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with THANKSGIVING, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters,
whatever is true,
whatever is noble,
whatever is right,
whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely,
whatever is admirable
—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
whatever is noble,
whatever is right,
whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely,
whatever is admirable
—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”
Philippians 4:6-9 NIV
Philippians 4:6-9 NIV
Spending time thanking God during cancer seems antithetical to the nature of the illness. But then isn't that the way of the world? The world says, "Why would you thank a God who would let this happen!" But faith says, that Jesus is the only way that anything -and everything- gets better and even becomes God's form of 'good.'
This form of good is amazing, incredible, delightful, surprising and long-lasting. The world says, "I don't want good, I want more." But faith says, that God's form of good is as good as it gets and you really can't want more. God always, always has the kind of plans for us that we could never even dream up.
Focus on this:
whatever is true,
whatever is noble,
whatever is right,
whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely,
whatever is admirable
—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Over the time of this little detour our Father has sent me on, I've found that there's been truth, purity, loveliness, admirable moments (etc) in many ways. The world says, "What?! How can you dare to enjoy yourself -you have cancer! You should feel sad, angry, resentment, bitter, hateful and annoyed by everything!"
And believe me, I've felt these feelings occasionally, but then I cast them over to God. Like skipping a stone. I don't want this anymore. It's not a heavy weight -as evil wishes it were- no it's a light, wasteful, piece of trash that needs to go.
Faith says, "Delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." -Psalm 37:4 If you read before and after this verse it really develops the depth of the Lord leading our hearts to his love for us.
"Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord; trust him and he will do this:
He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn,
your vindication like the noonday sun."
-Psalm 37:3-6
Actually I recommend reading the all of Psalm 37. There's a lot to embrace in it. In verse 19 it's says, "In times of disaster they will not wither; in days of famine they will enjoy plenty." Well this experience is one of those times and I'm standing on God's promise! I am not withering and I am enjoying plenty!
When we allow ourselves to be thankful we see our lives as God is creating it for us. We see the blessings. When we allow the world to tell us what's missing or what's wrong with this or that -well the blessings fade away and we are left believing there is nothing for us. It's such a lie.
The most lovely box in the entire world arrived yesterday!
This morning I'm sitting at the desk, writing this you, my dear readers, in new slippers! Oh so very soft slippers from a very dear friend. We are long distance friends, but we use to be neighbors over 20 years ago. She mailed me a lovely box filled with wonderful gifts to make this time better (ha, no, to make this time good.)
Slippers make my feet happy! Polka dots make my heart happy!
The other day, my hubby came home with a card and gift certificate for Caliches -frozen custard (like ice cream). On the gift certificate it says "To: The Garno Family From: The CACTF Family." My hubby employees are a family! Aw! And they thought of making our day better (err, I mean good.)
God has shared so much good with us, through all of you. We had recently changed churches before the diagnosis and our new pastor, who didn't know us, continues to pray over us and with us. He drove all the way to Albuquerque, stayed the night and prayed with us before surgery. Then he waited with my hubby for hours in the waiting room.
We have received so much love from our friends and family. There have been many texts, phone calls, emails and messages on Facebook and comments here on this blog that make my day better -no- they all make life good.
This is one way that God loves us -he does it through other people.
Faith is built by our Lord. It's not my creation. However, when God gives you faith -maybe like a teaspoon full -it's your choice to either take it in like good medicine or spit it out. When we take in faith it grows within us. The story of the mustard seed has guided me many times when I feel like I'm out of faith and I search my heart for a tiny little seed of faith -and then I give it to God (casting my cares on him) and ask him to grow it for me.
The world will often challenge you to find the good saying that it's rare and unusual and that life 'sucks' and blah, blah, blah...all lies.
The good of the Lord is everywhere, it's plentiful, and it's meant for us as a gift from our Father! The blessings from the Lord flow, day in and day out -and the more you are thankful for the smallest of blessings the sooner you'll see more blessings, that were there all along.
Treatment Update: Two physical therapy appointments this week (have you ever heard of scar massage?), one clinical/medical interview with a nurse with Cancer Treatment Centers of America and packing to go to Phoenix. My three day appointment at CTCA starts on Monday, March 20th.
In the meanwhile I am embracing God's good for me through the following list:
reducing stress;
avoiding germs/illness -like groups of people with runny noses (500+ students/teachers -aww -miss you all);
sitting in the sunshine for 15-30 min breathing in God's light into my lungs and blood stream and 'seeing' the little cancer cells disappear upon contact;
laughing for 30-60 min per day (silly sit coms help);
eating veggies and fruit;
reducing sugar/meat (how I miss you both);
drinking lots of water;
reading the Bible/praying/writing a letter to God;
exercise/walking/gardening;
soaking in the tub;
cooking and taking care of the household;
enjoying time with my hubby and daughter when they are home and texting them when they aren't;
writing this blog/FB posts on blessings/Martyr (book after Meek).
And occasionally driving to Tularosa to mail off copies of my books to friends and family, because the Alamogordo post office is so crazy-busy and the drive to Tulie is fun.
Thank you for your prayers. Prayers are certainly a blessing to me and my family. The love I feel from all of you is quite a wonder! It is GOOD!
Here's a GOOD word for the day. While this is usually meant for pastors of a church, we are all elders to someone and younger to someone else:
Shepherd the Flock of God
So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: 2 shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; 3 not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. 5 Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,
7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.
10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. 11 To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen."
-1 Peter 5:1-11
No comments:
Post a Comment