Wednesday, March 1, 2017

A nudge from the Holy Spirit + obedience = restoration and joy

We drove to Albuquerque yesterday for an appointment with the surgeon. It was a one week follow up and to remove the drain. As we drove into the parking lot we went over a large pothole and something happened with my drain -it began leaking down my side, into my bra and all over my shirt. Uh gross! I wasn't going to let it get me down. We took a funny photo of my hubby pretending to be impatient in front of a "patient parking only" sign. We laughed and laughed as we were blown by a crazy wind as we walked through the parking lot. When we reached the doctors office the leaking was done, my hair was full of static and windblown. I sat in the waiting room for 20 minutes feeling like a gross, sticky, windblown mess.

The medical assistant checked me out and then the doctor. The drain was removed. Then it was time to get dressed. I couldn't bare to put on the drenched bra so I pulled on my stained shirt and we met the doctor in her office to hear the results of the pathology report.

It was good. The edges of the tissue removed were negative for cancer cells. One lymph node was positive.  My husband was delighted to hear that by all accounts there is no more cancer. I felt a tiny 'whoop' inside of me and then she reminded us that she had made a referral to see an oncologist for March 1st.  My focus was fully on the referral and the word, "chemo." Ugh. I felt crestfallen and weepy inside. I felt like ungrateful and annoyed. Why do I need chemo if it's so positive? Then I thought of all the things I believe about chemo. When we returned to the car, I told my hubby "I've spent my whole life learning from Snow White that we are to avoid strangers with the poison apples and now I'm suppose to willing take poison and pay for it -well ok -insurance will pay for it." Then felt slightly grateful for insurance. But my crestfallen weepy self in a dirty shirt was taking over. I hated to steal my hubby's joy. I asked God for joy as he drove us out of the parking lot.

After we left the doctors office we drove past a hair salon that sells one of my favorite shampoos. I asked my hubby if we could stop in and shop for a minute. While I stood at the counter ready to pay I felt a nudge from the holy spirit to ask for a haircut. At first I resisted just wanting to get started on the long drive home. But the nudge persisted and so I  asked if there was a possibility that they would have time for a haircut. This salon is usually booked up but God works everything to our good. The receptionist said, yes someone had cancelled and it would be just a few minutes. God's perfect timing!

I got a scalp massage, shampooed, a lovely trim, blow out/style and the hairdresser even applied complimentary lipgloss to my lips. I was very pampered and my spirit was renewed. It didn't matter that I have chemo in my future. It mattered that today -today- my hubby was happy about medical news. My daughter was happy about the news when we arrived home in the evening.

It mattered that God answered the prayers that all of you -dear readers- have prayed for me. Thank you so very much for your lovely prayers!

So I was restored to living in the moment and not concerned with the future. I felt beautiful all the way home. My hubby's joy became our family joy and for the evening we were finally happy with a diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment